snapshot [our wedding day]




After we got engaged, we knew that our wedding day would be different. We both wanted to move away from the traditional amount of stress put on family and friends (and ourselves) and instead, keep towards simplicity, laughter, and memories. We knew that it wasn't September 15th that would be the defining day of our marriage, but our marriage itself.

I would've described our wedding day as a simple celebration, a magical party of sacred importance. Five months later, all I remember is this abundant peace and giddy excitement as family and friends gathered to celebrate us- still, in awe. 


Here are some photos from our day.




Everyone came together on the day before to help us set up, decorate, and bring to life the start of a lifetime. It all still felt wonderfully surreal. 


Day of:

  • getting ready in the morning and feeling the jittery joy at seeing a message from HIM, my man. How I already missed him, and how I was ready for this missing to be over
  • driving up to the church in my comfy plaid. Coffee for all my girls and me. Slipping into my dress, hands shaking, yet so much happiness spilling over my heart
  • not being able to stay in the dressing rooms right before the ceremony (too excited) and slipping out to greet guests that looked vaguely surprised at my presence
  • how my brother gave me his suit coat to wrap around my cold shoulders before we were all supposed to walk in. Small things, but not really

The boys got their pictures taken and posed like the models they are. 



My girls and I had the typical getting ready experience. "My curls are flattening!" "Where's my coffee?" "Did this dress cut so low before?" "Are these shoes okay?"

My heart was pounding as I anticipated the first look.



So grateful for these women and all they mean to me.



Our first look was magical, nerve wracking, and beautiful in every way. I was nervous getting out of the car, walking down the path to where Gio was waiting, but the moment I saw him, all the butterflies went away and I was happy, happy, happy. 



These giddy moments of laughter...




My mom made all our beautiful bouquets and it was a time-consuming labor of love.



Sweet Grandma Raquel, how you are already missed. Forever grateful you got to see Gio and I get married.



Walking down the aisle, I kept thinking "don't trip, don't trip", but then I saw Gio's face and the tears in his eyes and my heart... I couldn't stop smiling and forgot why I'd been nervous.


Our ceremony was simple. All we truly wanted was to have a family prayer and write our own vows. Now, I'm so thankful that's what we stuck with because the prayer is a memory I will never forget. 

This song was playing as we gathered around to pray.





I wanted the glow of candlelight to illuminate the church, but turned out that we carried that warmth in our hearts and it spilled over a thousand times. 


Our reception was filled with laughter, speeches, doughnuts, and all the nervous excitement. Gio and I both aren't big dancers and neither are our families, so we decided to cut out most of the traditional things people do at receptions. This kept it simple, while still memorable. 

After the ceremony, I still remember the line that formed in front of Gio and I as every single person at the wedding came by to give us their congratulations and hugs. I marveled at the love and joy that was being given, the greatest gift.




Another thing we knew we wanted was to have an intimate party at Gio's parents' house with just the family, bridal party, and our closest friends. A taco bar was a must, so after the festivities at the church were over, we made our way to the house.



To close off the day, we had the last round of speeches and toasts. My heart was overwhelmed at the love poured out that day. For our friends and family who gathered close and prayed over, sang and laughed with us. Grateful doesn't seem to cut it, but there it is. Grateful and bursting at the seams for the start of forever. 


Something my sweet friend, Marcia, wrote in a letter to me before the wedding: 

"No matter what this next season is going to hold, you are choosing Gio and he's choosing you forever and ever and ever. And together, you are going to get to experience the heart of our God. As a family, you two are going to be vessels of His heart to the world. Your home is going to be a place where hearts walk in and feel at home too, because the Father is present. When people are going to see you and Gio and your love, it's going to make them believe in love a little more because they are going to see each of you lay down your lives for each other. They will see the gospel. And no matter the trials you two are going to face together, there is always going to be the presence of the gospel, to heal, to redeem, to restore, to strengthen, to stay. So here's to another day, but the very first day of a forever as Mrs. Segar."


Her words are the best way to end this. With a vision. A goal. A heart knowledge that this isn't going to be easy, but we are embarking on something grand and sanctifying and sacred and beautiful. 


Because at the end of the day, Gio and I were forever teammates. Forever fellow adventurers. No longer did we have to travel alone, but together. We were home. 


[photography by Segar Photography and Marcia]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a note

snapshot [childhood]